Brazilian Wax – All Laid Bare
Brazilian Wax – It’s the word out on the street, the hype beneath the sheets, the freedom to strut your stuff – out with the big knickers and on with the thong.
Brazilian bikini waxing is definitely not just for the rich, the lean, the porn stars or the Demi Moores and Gwyneth Paltrow’s of today. This ‘clean sweep’ of hair in the pubic region has become increasingly popular since the late 80’s. Women (and men) are screaming for it, it’s mainstream and readily available at many beauty salons.
What exactly is it?
Simply put, after a Brazilian all that remains on your genitals is a tiny heart, triangle, rectangle or ‘landing strip’ of hair. This means you have a bare bikini-line, labia, and vaginal/buttocks region (and no embarrassing fluff floating out from your skimpy swimsuit) for weeks to come.
What is left after a Hollywood?
Absolutely nothing. It’s probably slightly more daring, but the advantage of being totally pubic hair-free means you can get artistic, and beautify yourself with body art or jewellery.
What can a ‘virgin’ expect from their 1st visit at a Salon?
- Waxing your genitals may be painful and you may feel a little self-conscious, but it is bearable, and the results are certainly worth it. Dollar-wise you’re looking at spending approximately between $25 and $100. Time-wise you’re looking at about 45 minutes. Fine hair will begin to grow back within a few weeks; it will be fuller and coarser after 4-5 weeks. Before you get a Brazilian Wax or Hollywood, it’s useful to know that when your pubic hair begins to grow back, the prickly stubble can become itchy and uncomfortable, sometimes causing ingrown hairs, and thus encouraging you to keep getting it done …
- Expect to bare it! Although some Salons have thin paper thongs that you may be able to hide some of yourself behind, most require ‘The Full Monty’. You will be asked to move into all sorts of strange positions without any pants on. The best advice is just to take a deep breath and relax. Remember, this is your beautician’s profession – to her this is routine.
- Your beautician will start by smoothing warm wax over your pubic area. She will then place cotton strips on top of the wax and rip them off once the wax has set. Any stray hair left behind may be plucked out with tweezers.
Anything else I need before I dare to bare it?
- Get your Brazilian Wax or Hollywood Wax no less than 7 days after your period. Your skin won’t be as sensitive this way.
- Take out your scissors and a trim any fluff you may have to about 1/8th of an inch before your appointment. This will make it easier for the wax to get right down to the hair follicles.
- There are products available that soothe sensitive skin, inhibit the development of in-grown hairs, and cause hair to grow back more slowly. This means you don’t have to get under the wax as often, so the pain is lessened.
- If you find waxing really painful then you might like to visit our page on pain relief, or read below for my personal recommendation of the hair removal cream Revitol.
- Celebrities do this all the time (we can all become celebrities too!).
The golden rule?
FIND SOMEBODY GOOD, BECAUSE THE BETTER THE BEAUTICIAN, THE BETTER THE BRAZILIAN WAX.
Remember, it’s not the cost that matters as much as the experience and credentials of the Beautician. Choose a salon wisely. Rely on word-of-mouth recommendations, and check that the salon is licensed, clean and professional. An expert Beautician knows how to minimize pain and give you the results you desire.
Many women agree that once you’ve dared it, there’s no going back. Every stride is a glide, and even if you’re still not brave enough to throw on that thong, you sparkle with confidence, and your sex life? Surpreenda!
Alternatives if it seems a bit intense?
My personal recommendation for pubic hair removal is using Revitol Hair Removal Cream. Read my review to find out why it was awarded ‘Editors Choice’ for best product.
Let’s get some conversation going! Tell me about your experiences with Brazilian Waxing in the comment box below.